Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Tightening up your Vott's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    Tightening up your Vott's


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    First hand experience AB. Let's not air it here. Please delete/edit the post if you feel it inappropriate. I stand behind my words and still possess the botched 604's as evidence.
    OK well see I didn't know that.. And was just asking a question.. See your situation is of a personal nature...I was only posting the .pdf for informational purposes for those who may not have ever seen it before..As there have been some recent A7 builds recently.... Anyway No Biggie.
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 1st, 2014 at 03:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    OK well see I didn't know that.. And was just asking a question.. If I had known all this before hand I wouldn't have even posted the .pdf.. So if no one wants the pdf to copy I'll delete the thread.I've personally never had any contact with the gentlemen so you would know better than I.
    I thought the paper/pdf was fairly well known. I have a printed out copy someplace. I never knew of any unpleasantness going on. Last I knew Jim was a infrequent poster here..... maybe it's been a few years, Though.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    I will check for stamps and labels this weekend. I bought these brand new from a retail home audio store in about 1976 along with all set-up literature. The horns and drivers came installed in the boxes, the boxes have the correct rabbited and/or dado-ed panels, the fit was impeccable and I was even mailed a customer questionnaire asking about workmanship, fit, finish, and satisfaction from Altec. I will also see if the Atec VOTT decal is upside down or not for home use.

    I have found an air gap where the horn flairs join the side panels at the upper corners and will squirt some PL-400 or epoxy in there to seal it up and eventually add half a cord of wood panel bracing.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Tightening up your Vott's


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    I will check for stamps and labels this weekend. I bought these brand new from a retail home audio store in about 1976 along with all set-up literature.
    The dealer most likely assembled them. AFAIK all were shipped as components and box.

    1976 are probably fake if they DO have a label.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    The dealer most likely assembled them. AFAIK all were shipped as components and box.
    Well, that would explain the Heathkit grey/green 416-8A woofers with no markings or decals.

    Well I found his article a new and interesting read even if it did contain errors. My exposure to Altec history is very limited and just as I am getting the hang of it, most of the printed data is gone and a lot of the E-data is getting wiped off of the internet such as the Altec-Pro stuff that I can't find anymore.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Tightening up your Vott's


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    My exposure to Altec history is very limited and just as I am getting the hang of it, most of the printed data is gone and a lot of the E-data is getting wiped off of the internet such as the Altec-Pro stuff that I can't find anymore.
    Well I have copied everything from the Altec Pro website...So don't worry they are still available (.pdf's) if needed..

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Tightening up your Vott's


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Well, that would explain the Heathkit grey/green 416-8A woofers with no markings or decals.
    Altec often used up leftover stock in OEM cabs.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Tightening up your Vott's


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Unfortunately I can't do it myself..I need Todd's input for this as he wants it on his site (Unofficial Altec Page).

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    825 cabinet with nominal 3/4" 7 ply w/ plenty of voids plywood showing 1/4" by 1/2" rabbited corner.

    After all of the discussion of 5/8" plywood, I started doubting my memory but...

    3
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; July 8th, 2014 at 12:22 AM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Tightening up your Vott's

    Pretty much guaranteeing it's not a factory cab............probably done by a cabinet shop for whichever local distributor handled the order same as was often done here in Atlanta after shipping charges started climbing up with the decline of the transcontinental railway system. That, or DIY.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.